Saturday, July 23, 2011

Alaskan Heat Wave...

I wanted to tell you about my wonderful weekend I had (which was last weekend). Well I started off the Saturday right by sleeping in a bit and then meeting up with a family here that Liz & I are going to house sit for. Then we picked up Elsa to go for a hike on Old Women's... which is one of the easier mountains to hike up here since it's only 1,400 ft. It was such a gorgeous day & it got up to 66 degrees! That is the warmest the temperature I have experienced here in Kodiak. I wore shorts and it was awesome. Something even more awesome is that up at the top of Old Women's is a lake... so naturally we went swimming and did some sunbathing. It was such a wonderful day with the sun shining and the skies blue...


This was my view while laying out


The lake on top of Old Women's


Liz & Elsa

The view of Barometer from the top... we already conquered that one and once was enough. Lol


On the way down


View of some of the bays

The view on the way up... pretty spectacular!


So that was only my Saturday.... Sunday was a whole new experience. The sweet Kinman family picked me up and took me to breakfast and church, as they always do. Then they dropped me off at the harbor because Karen and Robin (my boss and her husband who also works for the refuge) wanted to take us fishing! They have a friend Wes who had a helper named Caleb with a boat he used to do charter fishing on and we went out with them. This was Liz's & mine first time to go halibut fishing! Elsa went along as well to hang out and she took pics. It was such a great time, altogether we caught 11 halibut and 3 codfish. I was definitely sore the next day since you have to reel in for so long and those fish get heavy! Plus it's interesting to go fishing with such huge hooks and have decently sized fish as bait... but it was all good. The first thing Liz caught was a spiny dog fish which is in the shark family. It was hilarious... but she eventually caught some halibut. It was a wonderful time and I am super thankful that Karen and Robin invited us. Here is my proof of our catchings...

I just had to do a kiss the fish pic!


Liz ready to catch some fish!


My first halibut!
As you can see it was a weekend filled of new experiences. I had a great time, as all my time has been here in Kodiak. God made it so gorgeous here and I am blessed to be here. I've also had a lot of family been calling me this week and checking on me which I love as well! I miss everyone back home but I'm in good hands here. Hope everyone has a great rest of the weekend! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment