Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Randoms of Kodiak

In my time at Kodiak, AK I've came across some very interesting things and I have had some very random moments. If my camera is handy... I take a picture (or two)! I am going to start with the one that made me laugh the hardest. My friend Adia here is on the mountain goat research crew and is also a talented knitter. Therefore she decided that while she was out on her hitches that she would collect goat fur so she could make a hat out of it. So one day I come home to Adia out on the deck carding goat fur... and not only was she carding the fur but she was carding it with cat combs since it was something available for her to buy and cheaper. So I grabbed my camera to capture this wonderful moment! Hahahaha! You gotta love her!


Adia!

The lovely goat fur she collected.


The next adventure I want to share with you happened just a few weeks ago and it's kind of hard to explain since it's so ridiculous. A Russian ship called the Pallada was visiting so there was a surplus of Russian cadets pursuing the town of Kodiak. Since Kodiak actually has a rich Russian history, the Russian community invited them with a live band and music. So Liz, Adia, and myself stopped by and stood awkardly against the wall, like at a Jr. High dance, while we watched Russians do Russian dances to Russian music. It was just a bit too Russian for us. 


The Pallada


Russian dancing

Liz & Adia at the Russian dance... absolutely love it!

Here I am with my campers while on a tour of the Russian ship.


So this I meant to blog about this awhile ago but it can go in this blog and it is.... the 4th of July!!! Liz & I planned a refuge 4th of July potluck party where everyone was supposed to wear red, white, & blue and Liz made a radiant playlist consisting of only patriotic music. We also only had American food at the potluck so the main dish was.... hot dogs! Everyone had a blast!

Happy 4th!




Since the only place you can buy clothes here is pretty much Walmart.. there were a couple repeats on the patriotic shirts.

Myself & Adia looking fierce!

With my dear friend Liz =)


 Lexie with her wonderful USA dish she made!

And here are just random pics I've snapped around town....



Kayaks for sale in Walmart

Boat on fire...

Tim dancing at the Lady Gaga costume party.

Survivor suit team races.

And last but not least.. the random Oklahoma car I found in the Walmart parking lot!


That's all the randoms of Kodiak that I have for now... I hope you can enjoy them just as I did!


No comments:

Post a Comment