Monday, August 15, 2011

Kodiak Kayaking

So two weeks ago I got to go kayaking in Kodiak! It was a Sunday afternoon and the wonderful lady who hired me, Shelly, texted Liz & I asking if we wanted to go kayaking with her. We went to Ft. Abercrombie to kayak in Monashka Bay. Shelly had 2 kayaks so Liz & her went to get a third one from a friend and dropped me off so I could paddle around for a bit till they got back. So I was paddling around enjoying the view and the peacefulness when all of a sudden I hear a loud exhale... I turned my head to see a sea lion a little ways away from me. He was just swimming along then he stopped and looked at me.... then starts swimming towards me! I had no idea what to do because I was by myself, the sea lion was huge, and I had heard stories of them bothering fishing boats so I just paddled as fast as I could to shore. Sure enough he followed me but only for a little bit, thankfully. Soon after Liz & Shelly showed up and we all went out on the water together! The water was so calm and it was wonderful to be out. Plus we were able to see more sea lions (from a distance), puffins, jelly fish, and sea otters.  It was amazing!



Myself & Liz

Here I am with Shelly!

So you can't see him that well but this is a sea otter poking his head out at us. It's hard to get a good pic of these guys.

Liz took this great pic of the jelly fish

Liz out on the water!

I love kayaking!


Here's Liz & me... being ourselves.


So I didn't get too many pics but you can get the general idea. We had a great time and it was so gorgeous!!! It was a wonderful evening and I'm glad I could get another thing checked off my bucket list for Kodiak!

On a side note there is a family who takes me to church and are so sweet to me. I had told Alan, who happens to be in the Coast Guard, that we were going kayaking and he told me to tell him when I got back just so he knew I made it back safely. Well we ended up going out on the water later then what I had told him and by the time we got back and I was able to call him I think he was one call away from getting the Coast Guard out to go look for me. I apologized thoroughly but am glad I got people looking out for me.. and so is my mom! 


No comments:

Post a Comment