Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Ft. Abercrombie

Fort Abercrombie was built on Kodiak Island in World War II for defense even though the cannons were never shot. Today it is a state park for everyone's enjoyment. I have spent quite of bit of time there and done a variety of things such as tide pooling, going on hikes, and enjoying the sunset. It has a plethora of wonderful trails and is simply gorgeous. So there is a collection of pics I gathered from my visits.

So I know I've shared the following before but it's just to show you that there are cannons, cannon bases, and bunkers everywhere in the park.
The trees here are covered with moss and it is so unique looking.


Last Sunday the sun was actually out so Liz, Jane, Matt, Ross, and myself went out to enjoy the sunset. So the next few pics are taken a little past 11 pm, because that's when the sun goes down here. It's great. Lol. Actually see the sun go down over the mountains was breathtaking.




 The other day a lady took us tide pooling to each us about the sea creatures that live in this area. So tide pooling is exploring the pools of water left when the tide goes down for the day. Here in Kodiak there are two high tides and two low tides a day. It's pretty neat and I loved seeing all the sea stars.
So here is a pic of the tide down:
 The crew exploring!
 This is a blood star I found.
 We saw a pregnant crab... that was a first for me. 
 A hermit crab chilling out.
 Another sea star



 Well this week we officially started the camp I'm an instructor for. It's called Salmon Camp and it's an environmental education day camp. This week and the next we have K-1st grade so it's pretty entertaining. But I'll talk more on that later. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you have a great week! =)

1 comment:

  1. Very cool Kari... I'm jealous... looks like your having a great time!
    Mike fisher

    ReplyDelete